Friday, March 12, 2010

Olympia

#1-Sponsor a Child


According to Compassion's website, Compassion International exists as a Christian child advocacy ministry that releases children from spiritual, economic, social and physical poverty and enables them to become responsible, fulfilled Christian adults.

I first learned about Compassion from reading Kelly's blog. Kelly went to El Salvador on a Compassion Blogger trip. Since reading about Kelly's trip, I have wanted to sponsor a child, but just hadn't done it. I was making excuses for myself.

Last week MckMama went on a Compassion Blogger trip to Kenya. She shared stories and pictures from her trip. I don't know why, but for some reason I just couldn't stop thinking about it. The conditions there were unimaginable. The children were adorable and pitiful all at the same time. I couldn't get it out of my head.

So, I finally did it. I signed up to be a child sponsor. It is $38/month to sponsor a child. Compassion decides what your child needs specifically and uses the money from your sponsorship to provide those things (food, clothing, medical supplies, etc). You can read more about becoming a sponsor on their website by clicking here.

I choose a little girl named Olympia. In the next week or so I should receive my sponsorship packet with her picture and additional information. I can write her letters and she will write to me as well. I even found out yesterday that Compassion takes "sponsor trips" where you can go and meet your sponsored child! How awesome would it be to meet the child you have been sponsoring?! I am definitely hoping to be able to travel to Kenya one day and meet Olympia.

I am so excited that I finally decided to sponsor. From reading MckMama and Kelly's blogs, I have no doubt that sponsorship changes the lives of these children forever.

I will be sure to share pictures and more information when I get them. I encourage you to get involved in something, anything that enriches the life of someone other than yourself. I can't explain how good it feels to know you are changing someone else's life.


No comments:

Post a Comment